Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bye-Bye to the Sugar-High

So, yesterday afternoon I shared with you that I was really looking forward to dinner and some good hang-out time with a girlfriend - over some chips & salsa and dinner from Chipotle. Chipotle is extra special to the two of us - It's sort of interwoven into the depths of our friendship. Along with Chick-fil-A and Starbucks. You see, we used to work together in ministry. Her husband being a pilot traveled a lot during the week, so she and I spent several evenings together over dinner at Chipotle after work. Chick-fil-A was also frequented. And Starbucks - Well, that is just a trademark of any women's ministry. It's a dire need.

Allow me to fill you in on the series of events that took place last night.


6:30 pm - Run by Chipotle. Pick up some chips & salsa, and 2 salads. Yum. Eating dinner and catching up on the past couple weeks of life. Laughing at the babies. When all of a SUDDEN ...

7:30 pm - I notice that my cheeks are hot. Really hot. And so are my nose ... and my lips. Run to the mirror and my suspicions are confirmed - Yes, my face is bright red. Cheeks, nose, lips ... Yeah. On fire. Erin and I both begin laughing uncontrollably, then we both almost simultaneously say these words: "My tongue feels weird."

Yes, folks. We were having an allergic reaction to something in that blasted salsa!

8:00 pm - Being the oh-so-solution-oriented one that I am, as well as incredibly [ahem] impatient ... I resort to the following. An almost entire medicine cup of Children's Benadryl Allergy.

I paid zero attention to the side effects, because come on, seriously ... It's for CHILDREN.

30-60 minutes later, I wished I had.

When using this product:

  • marked drowsiness may occur.
  • excitability may occur.

9:15 pm - Passed out on the couch, barely keeping my eyes open. And laughing at every little thing. If those 3 teaspoons (or however much I took) did that to me, I highly recommend Children's Benadryl for any mother dealing with the terrible two's. For both the child and the mother. Talk about a sedative. Ok, I'm kidding. But let me tell you ... That's some powerful stuff. Girl was two sheets to the wind.

Praise God I eventually arrived safely at home. And almost missed church this morning because I slept through my alarm. When I texted my fiance and told him I didn't think I would make it to church he asked, "What would you like me to tell everyone?" I'm guessing something along the lines of, "Tell them I'm at home doped up on Children's Benadryl!" was the response he was hoping for?? Needless to say, I made it there (though several minutes late), so he did not have the opportunity to experience such a thrill.

So, I can officially say that the sugar-high is gone.

And now I'm just realllll tired.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Hahhaha, oh Heather!!!!