Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Never Once

"I will not fail you or forsake you."
(Joshua 1:5)

I am currently reading through the book of Joshua.  What a wonderful example of what happens when people take God at His word.  

In the very first chapter of the book, God gives a charge to Joshua.  The Lord has called Joshua, following Moses' death, to lead the Israelites across the Jordan to claim the land that was promised to them.  In verse 5 of chapter 1, God commands Joshua to walk confidently on the mission He has called him to:

"No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life.  Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you."

And He held true to His promise: He did not fail or forsake him.

There is a song that has been impressed upon my heart.  We have sung it in church several times lately and it just reminds me that my confidence must rest in the Lord.  Here are the lyrics by Matt Redman ...   

Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Carried by Your constant grace
Held within Your perfect peace
Never once, no, we never walk alone

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Every step we are breathing in Your grace
Evermore we’ll be breathing out Your praise
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

The truth is - there have been hardships I have faced along the way.  I have experienced heart break, betrayal, insecurity, loneliness, sickness, and so on.  Scars and struggles on the way.  But here's the other truth - My God has been present amidst it all.  He has never failed me and He has never forsaken me.  But with joy our hearts can say never once did we ever walk alone.  

Joshua was assured of the presence of his God.  He was able to walk confidently in the direction God was sending him because he took God at His word.  Whatever you are facing today, perhaps you just need to be reminded that the Lord your God is on your side.  I will ask you the same question I have been prompted to ask myself: Are you taking God at His word? 

Because no matter what we are up against ... 

He will never let us walk it alone.

Never once.  


1 comment:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Never Once will resonate in my head today as I am reminded that He never leaves us or forsakes us. Love you!