Monday, March 5, 2012

Radical Obedience

"And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart;
And you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them 
when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you 
lie down and when you rise up.  And you shall bind them as a sign on your hand and 
they shall be as frontals on your forehead.  And you shall write them on the 
doorposts of your house and on your gates."
(Deuteronomy 6:6-9)

I am sitting on the couch in the living room and I have the baby monitor on the coffee table, volume turned up.  I am worshipping to the baby monitor.  

Huh???

Yep.  You heard right.  Hamilton has been falling asleep to a baby praise album that I downloaded to his little [pink -- I know, my husband is not a fan of the color] iPod.  It was however, a hand-me-down, so he is proud of me for using all my resources.  I've come a long way [grin].  

I am loving the hallelujahs, names of Jesus, and promises of God my sweet baby boy is falling asleep to.  As He sleeps, I find myself praying those things over his precious life.  And I find myself becoming intensely inspired to make the Word of God something that Hamilton grows up familiar with.  

A friend of mine shared with me the other day about the projects she has completed recently so that she can make Scripture more easily displayed throughout her home. She is taking God at His Word - Applying Scripture to her every day life and obeying the call in Deuteronomy chapter 6 to write God's words down and hang them on the walls of her home.

A few months ago I overheard someone say, "The only thing you want in life is to see your children happy." I have thought about this several times since I heard that comment. I mean, really thought about it. And this is my conclusion: This is an unrealistic expectation. Our children [my children] are not always going to be happy. In fact, there will be many difficulties ahead. Their lives will never go without struggle, and because of that, there will undoubtedly be times when they are not feeling or appearing happy. Hearing that comment has caused me to do some deep self-evaluation. What is it that I wish for Hamilton?

I long to see him walk in obedience. Radical obedience. The kind that forsakes comfort, logic and sometimes even momentary happiness if necessary.

So tonight, as he sleeps peacefully in our home and hears the hallelujahs, names of Jesus, and promises of God on his baby praise album, I will sit right here and pray. Pray for his future - that God will instill in his heart an insatiable appetite for obedience. And that I would not for one day, fail to speak the name of Jesus into his life. That I would actively practice and commit to Deuteronomy 6:6-8 in our home -- teaching and talking of His goodness every opportunity I am given. Being fully aware that without the power of Jesus, this too is a very unrealistic expectation.

Thank You Lord, for Your Word. May my desire for You increase so much that I cannot bear to go one single day without speaking Your goodness and Truth to the next generation. That I would desire - more than comfort, logic and sometimes even momentary happiness - radical obedience
.

"With my mouth I will give thanks abundantly to the Lord; 
And in the midst of many I will praise Him." (Psalm 110:30)

2 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

Oh my word. SO good. And so true! I was just talking to one of the boys the other day while I was rocking him and I told him something similar. That I wanted him to love Jesus with every ounce of his being. And obey Him even when it seemed crazy - even when He was leading him in some way that seemed crazy from a worldly perspective.

I'm sure his four month old mind processed all of that perfectly :)

.

Love Being A Nonny said...

The power of a praying mother is amazing. I pray God gives you the desires of your heart. He is pleased with your prayers for Hamilton. How blessed Hamilton is to have those prayers prayed over him every day. Much love, Nonny