Saturday, December 6, 2008

Having a "He Will" Mindset

In the book of Habakkuk, the prophet Habakkuk is seeking God regarding the spiritual decline of the nation of Judah. He is troubled over the sin that is ruling over the nation. Out of his burden for his people stems a deep sense of urgency within him - He desperately wants to state his case before the Most High, and surrender his attention to hearing from the Lord.

Habakkuk declares his passion and commitment regarding this particular matter, as he states: "I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what He will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint" (Habakkuk 2:1).

I love Habakkuk's choice of words in the above verse. "I will stand at my watch ... I will look to see what He will say to me." There is no wavering, no doubt. He is certain that God will speak ... and not only that, but also that he will clearly know when God has spoken.

Psalm 85:8 says, "I will listen to what God the LORD will say; He promises peace to His people -His saints ..." Again, we see the author's unwavering belief that God will speak. Sometimes when we are praying for something specific, we can easily become discouraged, frustrated, disheartened. We want the answer, and we want it NOW. We may not always understand God's timing. This particular psalmist is so good to remind us that as we listen, as we wait to see what God will say or do on our behalf, He promises peace to us. Peace in the midst of the waiting.

I have found such peace in the above passages of Scripture throughout the past few days. Just knowing that God will answer my prayers, and that I will know when He has done so, is so comforting and reassuring. We serve a God who is attentive to our needs, to our prayers. Why would we ever get caught up in the trap that we could miss His plan for our lives? As long as we are not treasuring sin in our hearts, God is listening to us (Psalm 66:18). And when we are overwhelmed by sins, we simply ask God to forgive us, and make an intentional decision to turn from those things that so easily entangle us (Psalm 65:3).

May we adopt a sense of urgency in our prayer lives. May we approach our God with a confidence that He will answer our prayers. State Psalm 85:8 aloud today, many times throughout your day: "I will listen to what God the LORD will say ..." Then, surrender your attention to hearing from Him.

Let's go be Habbakuk's of our generation: Standing at our watch ... Looking to see what He will say to us.

"You guide me with your counsel ... " (Psalm 73:4)

"Hear my prayer, O Lord God Almighty; Listen to me, O God of Jacob." (Psalm 84:8)

"In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; In the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation." (Psalm 5:3)

No comments: