Friday, May 8, 2009

With All Our Might

At the beginning of 2009, I committed this year to the Lord, asking that He lead and guide my steps wherever He so desired. I prayed specifically that 2009 would be "The Year of the Lord" for me personally. I wanted to see Him act in ways I never thought or imagined. To sense His Presence in my everyday circumstances. An insatiable desire to experience my God.

As I sat across the table yesterday morning from a dear friend - her two little babies, as well as myself, all tugging for her attention - One wanting a sip of her coffee, the other to be fed, and then me (probably more needy than the 3 year old & the newborn combined) - desperately wanting to glean insight from this incredible godly woman on the intricacies of prioritizing her life as a wife and mother. I think she should go into business giving "wife lessons." In between soothing the whining baby and the pretending to be able to interpret 3-year old gibberish (how do moms play that off so well??), this woman whom I am privileged to call a friend, managed to fit in two incredibly profound pieces of advice. I had to share them with you all.

Her first piece of advice came from a sermon she had heard preached by our pastor several years ago. He spoke to a group of graduating seniors on starting their college experience. He encouraged and challenged them to "start strong in order to finish strong." 2009 started strong for me. The Lord had my full attention. And for great purpose. Psalm 4:3 says, "Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for Himself." God has great purpose in setting us apart for certain seasons of our lives. If you are currently experiencing a "set apart" season, can I give you a word of advice? Relish it, sweet sister. Take in every bit of Him you can. Spend as much time as possible in that sweet Word of Life. Commune with Him day and night. Apply the Truth to your everyday. Enjoy your spiritual journey. Run hard after Him, then run some more. Write down all the things He is teaching you. Relish your "set apart" season. Because when you start strong, you can finish strong. And I dare say, that if God currently has you in a "set apart" season ... It's about to get busy. Something else is right around the corner - a different kind of season. Which is all the more reason to start strong and stay focused. Because you want to be READY! Ready to experience that season to the fullest!

Her second piece of advice came directly from Scripture. She shared Ecclesiastes 9:10 with me: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." When she got engaged, she took a good look at the lovely engagement ring on her finger and after reading the above verse, committed to being fully engaged in the season God currently had placed her in. "It's time to be a wife. I'm going to do this with all my might ..." was her mentality. I am a thinker. My mind rarely slows down - always analyzing something, thinking through the pros and cons of a particular situation, etc. Frankly, it can be exhausting. Being newly engaged, it seems I have adopted a check-list of 1,000 items. So, 1,000 wedding-related items on my check-list ... And my mind all of a sudden steps into high gear and I begin frantically thinking about 1,000 ministry-related items on my check-list and 1,000 house-related items on my check-list ... (All of this on the way to eating sushi on Wednesday night! In the span of time it took us to park the car and walk to the restaurant!) Praise the Lord for my fiance who ever so frankly reminded me that there is a time for ALL of those things, but right now I have been given the task (and a great task it is) of planning a wedding.

Jim Elliot, a great hero of the faith put it so simply when he said: "Wherever you are, be all there." Similar to the Ecclesiastes passage listed above, he challenges us to give our all wherever it is we find ourselves, that we may experience the complete joy God has for us right there in that place.

So, I have committed to being all "here." Looking down at this beautiful ring on my finger, watching my future husband build a fence in the front yard of our soon-to-be home together, sharing special moments with my family and friends, and even getting all dirty and sweaty cleaning out the storage unit ... I want to experience everything that this season has for me.

The sweet moments.

The special moments.


The "going crazy" moments.

The silly moments.

The proud moments.

Start Strong ... And Work at it with all your might.

3 comments:

Aust said...

LOVE this and I LOVE you! Enjoy this time Heather Anne. God is so good!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I look so forward to meeting you. Love this post!

(Jordan's mom)

Raquiiba Bolton-Dawes said...

This really encouraged me today sis! Many blessings to you and I am so excited about my set apart season! Time for God and me and us building together! Many blessings!