Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Abundant Life

I had the television on as I was getting ready for work on Saturday morning. A televangelist was presenting [or should I say screaming] his own concoction for spiritual fulfillment and happiness. I left it on because I found it interesting. I am always trying to give people the benefit of the doubt -- "Ok, let's see if this guy speaks any truth ..." Waiting ... Waiting ... Nothing.

Just this. Over and over again.

"Call for your FREE Miracle Spring Water
and Anointed Faith too!"

Not sure what you do with the spring water and still a little confused on how you actually purchase anointed faith, but let me tell you, these folks were passionate about their "products."

This particular televangelist spoke the following comment with such authority that I literally shut my eyes for a few seconds for fear that I was going to have to witness him being struck by a lightning bolt.

"You can't live abundant life without some cash."

I found it interesting that 24 short hours later I was instructed to open my Bible up in church to this passage in Matthew ...

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."
(Matthew 5:3)

In the book of Ecclesiastes, the author [many who believe was Solomon] gives us a glimpse into a life of one who had the opportunity to pursue happiness through whichever avenue he chose. The author tried wisdom, pleasure, alcohol, human achievement, hobbies, great riches, and sex.

"I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my work,
and this was the reward for all my labor."
(Ecclesiastes 2:10)

And yet the conclusion of this very same author was that Only God alone can satisfy. That only He alone can provide abundant life.

"Now all has been heard ;
Here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man."
(Ecclesiastes 2:13)

What is that one thing that you believe will satisfy you? The one thing you feel you need or are entitled to? The one thing that you just know will make you happy?

What if I told you that the one thing will never satisfy you the way Jesus will?

Because physical stuff in this world will never satisfy our deepest soul craving. Our inner contentedness can only be fulfilled by Jesus Himself - He has set eternity in our hearts (Ecc. 3:11).

We are not promised riches or wealth. We are not promised comfort or personal gain. We are not promised stature or status or worldly success. But what we are promised, is that we will be satisfied. Abundantly satisfied.

And contrary to your way of thinking, Mr. Preacher Man Televangelist:

Abundant life does not come from cash.

Abundant life comes from the Cross.

[The Bible tells me so.]

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst
for righteousness, for they will be filled."
(Matthew 5:6)

No comments: