Monday, November 22, 2010

1 Corinthians Bible Study: Week Two


1 Corinthians Message One: Consider Our Calling from Heather Neese on Vimeo.

UPDATE: If you would like, comment on this particular post with one thing that God showed you, a favorite verse, or an application that God taught you through your Week 1 study of 1 Corinthians 1:1-17.


Hello my sweet friends [and family]!

Happy Monday! And Happy Thanksgiving week! I love this time of year more than any other. I want you to know that I have thanked my God for each one of you already this morning. What a privilege it is to serve the Lord along side of you. I am so blessed by your dedication to study the Bible together with me. I pray you were blessed by your personal study of Scripture this week.

I have listed our reading for this week below, as well as the outline for the message on the video today.  This outline is just for your reference.

"Consider Our Calling" Text: 1 Cor. 1:1-17

I. God is calling us to remember our identity ... (Verses 1-9)
    A. In the Person of Jesus.
    B. In the Promises of Jesus.

II. God is calling us to restore unity ... (Verses 10-13)
   A. In our relationships.
   B. With our Redeemer.

II. God is calling us to retain humility ... (Verses 14-17)
   A. As we serve the Lord.
   B. As we speak of the Lord.

Week 2 Reading Guide
Day 1 - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25
Day 2 - 1 Corinthians 1:26-31
Day 3 - 1 Corinthians 2:1-9
Day 4 - 1 Corinthians 2:10-13
Day 5 - 1 Corinthians 2:14-16

And again, here are the 3-steps for each day's reading:

Step One: Learn from the Word.
Simply list the facts from the Scripture you read. Do not paraphrase, using your own words. Simply list the important facts.

Step Two: Listen to the Word.
What do you believe God is saying to His people through this Scripture? Is there a warning, a promise, a command, a challenge, an encouragement? Draw a spiritual truth out of this passage.

Step Three: Live out the Word.
Take the spiritual truth from Step Two and make it personal, by turning it into the form of a question -- a question directed at yourself, leaving time for personal reflection.

Additional Study Questions:
Day 1: Am I holding fast to the wisdom and power of God, as necessary components of my life?
Day 2: What inadequacies or weaknesses has God used in my life to display His greatness?
Day 3: Am I relying on the Spirit's power or my own ability?
Day 4: Do I believe that the wisdom I have in Christ far surpasses the wisdom of this world?
Day 5: Am I letting God be God, or do I become frustrated when His thoughts are not my own?

I tried to go a little lighter on the reading for Thursday and Friday of this week, but we're still going to get all the way through Chapter 2 this week. Notice that we end the week with 3 verses to read on Black Friday ... You're welcome. You know I'll be at the mall too! But, I believe it's best we start it out right and get in the Word. I believe people wake up with an extra dose of crazy on Black Friday, and it's best that we really tap into the Spirit of God before we hit the stores. Y'all know I'm serious! :)


Blessings to you as you dive into Week Two!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Thank you for the reminder that Christ has prepared me all the days of my life for the challenges I face at this time in my life. Sometimes they are so overwhelming..but when I focus on Him it is amazing how they seem so small. HE is faithful to be everything that I need!!
Tricia