Monday, January 10, 2011

1st Corinthians Bible Study: Week 7

Hi Fellow 1st Corinthian Studiers!

Video is on it's way. Check back later today.


I hope you had a filling study of 1 Corinthians 6.  Paul has a way of addressing serious issues that seem to be very point blank (immorality, lawsuits, etc.), but somehow they begin to penetrate deep inside my heart into other areas where I have issues.  I may not struggle with wanting to sue someone, but I may struggle with wanting to be right all the time.

Paul addresses marriage and singleness in our chapter for this week: Chapter 7.  A very interesting passage of Scripture.  There have been times when I have read this and felt very encouraged, and other times [mainly in my singleness] where it was a bit frustrating to me.  In studying this verse-by-verse currently, I have realized a few things that I seemed to dismiss before.  The reason I became so frustrated with this passage when I was single was because I totally overlooked the following verses:
  • "I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all of you were as I am. But each one of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that." (1 Corinthians 7:6-7, emphasis mine) 
  • "I have no command from the Lord, but I give judgment as one who by the Lord's
    mercy is trustworthy." (1 Corinthians 7:25, emphasis mine)
What Paul is essentially saying is that portions of this text are his opinion. And we must trust that based most likely on much experience and observation, he has come to these passionate conclusions. And that is alright with us, because you and I have opinions based on experience and observation as well, right?


At the same time, you and I believe that the Bible is the ultimate Word of God, right?  That it is ultimate truth and there is nothing accidental about it's contents.  The Bible is the inerrant Word of God - This means that it is without error.  And the Bible reveals our God to us -- It is absolutely paramount and intrinsic that if want to know God, we must get to know our Bibles.

So let's not get hung up on whether or not it's better to be married or not married, but let's get hung up on verses like this one throughout our study of 1 Corinthians 7:


  • "You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of human beings." (1 Corinthians 7:23) 
Because whether we're married or unmarried ..... We cannot deny that truth. We were bought with a price. And because of that, Jesus deserves our absolute life. Not another earthly person.

Amen??? Amen!

So, let's read this Scripture with an open heart. I think we're going to be able to pull out two or three truths by week's end that we deeply agree with.

Here is next week's reading and additional study questions:

Week 7 Reading Guide
Day 1 - 1 Corinthians 7: 1-7
Day 2 - 1 Corinthians 7: 8-16
Day 3 - 1 Corinthians 7: 17-24
Day 4 - 1 Corinthians 7: 25-31
Day 5 - 1 Corinthians 7: 32-40

Additional Study Question*:
If you're unmarried, is your attention undivided unto the Lord? If you're married, though your attention is divided amongst your husband and possibly children, where is the center of your attention? How can it become less about others and more about the Lord, without slighting your husband or family the attention they need? Both unmarried and married: If your attention upon the Lord? If so, how do you continue your focus? If not, how can you better organize your life to make time for focusing on the Lord?

*You will notice that we only have 1 study question this week. This week's text is a little lengthy and different, so I thought it would be best for all of us to be focused upon one common theme throughout the week: Making Him the center of our attention.

Love you girls!

No comments: