Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Our Stone Pillars

"Jacob set up a stone pillar at the place where God had talked with him ... Jacob called the place where God had talked with him Bethel." (Genesis 35:14,15)

Conversations with God.

The other morning, I was driving down the road - thinking through all the details of the upcoming women's retreat for my church. I had discovered a few nights prior that a certain aspect of the weekend was not coming together as I had imagined. A certain 'need' had surfaced, and as I was driving to an appointment that morning, I felt the Lord tugging at my heart to rise to the occasion and fill that particular need. Surely I'm thinking this way because I have not yet had enough coffee ... There's no way You're asking me to do that, Lord. In fact, No. I will not do it. There's no possible way that could work. Immediately, I felt Him say to my heart: What do you mean, you will not do it? This is My decision, not yours. Now, if you do not choose to walk forward in obedience, that's your decision; however, if you do decide to obey, you are putting yourself in a position to experience My complete joy.

I arrived at my appointment that morning a few minutes early. I had brought my Bible and journal into the office and had a few minutes to sit alone in the quiet. I opened my Bible to John 15:16. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. Take a look at what John 15:16 says: "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." He was confirming what I felt Him speaking over my heart in the car just a few short minutes before. He was calling and appointing me to a specific task - a task purposed to bear fruit, for the glory of God.

Last night I spent some good time just praising my God. He has been so good. I wrote 2 things in my journal: That I was filled with an incredible longing to worship Him, and that I was so thirsty for God. I have been studying Psalm 119 lately, so this morning when my eyes hit these verses I nearly cried (In fact, I think I did cry): "My soul is consumed with longing for Your laws at all times" (Ps. 119:20). When I cross-referenced this particular verse, take a look at what I found: "Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things" (Ps. 107:8-9). Last night I was just longing after the things God has placed in my heart. This morning, He showed me through His Word that when my soul longs after the things of God - the desires He has placed in my heart - Simply put, it's a good place to be. Last night, I was thirsting after God's movement in my life. I just wanted more and more of His goodness. This morning, He assured me that my thirst would be satisfied with good things.

In both of these instances, my God was conversing with me through His Word. Two stone pillars.

In Genesis 35, God calls Jacob aside to talk with him. It is here, at the place Jacob names 'Bethel,' that the Lord speaks a mighty revelation over Jacob. So mighty, that Jacob sets up a stone pillar at the place where God talked with him (Gen. 35:15).

Our conversations with God are meant to be stone pillars in our faith-life. We are not just meant to have one or two, but many. Have you had your conversation with God yet today? Have you poured your heart out to Him, awaiting a response from Him - straight from His heart to yours? He has something profound to say to you today, sweet sister. Talk to Him - then open up the Word of God, and be prepared to be blown away by His specificity. He most certainly will talk back.

May a stone pillar await you today.
(In the form of a conversation with your God.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You bless me!