Monday, April 5, 2010

Who Is Jesus to you?

This morning after I had poured my coffee, I set out upstairs to grab my reading materials (Bible, Psalms commentary, Daily Light). My Mom put together the cutest little daisies for me yesterday afternoon to bring home with me and I placed all 4 vases on the kitchen counter. The sight of these pretty spring flowers along with the sunshine shining bright this morning, made me want to remove myself from the place I call my own to the bright kitchen for my time with God - for just this once.

[Side note: Hubby is outside - as in right outside the kitchen window - operating some very loud yard equipment, so who knows how long this idea of quiet time in the kitchen with God will work :) Let me just crank up my worship music a little.]

Anyways, so while I was upstairs grabbing my usual material I had an intense sensation for a refresher from God. After reflecting upon the Cross, the burial, and the resurrection of Jesus yesterday, it just seemed fitting that I would grow deeper this spring with Him. It's been a very busy year, and I'm ready to get back to a place of solitude with my Maker, my Savior, my Jesus.

[Pause to go stick 8 big Pillsbury Grand biscuits in the oven for hubby. Because I just received a text from him that said the following: Momma u wanna cook up those biscuits? To which I responded: Sure big boy. Never a dull moment.]

So as I looked through my library of books for that refresher, my eyes hit Just Give Me Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz. I grabbed it without thinking twice and when I returned to the kitchen I opened the cover of the book to read the following words: To those who need a fresh touch from God. Yep, that would be me. You?

Maybe this will help ...

She writes:

So Who is Jesus? What is there about him that makes Him so compelling that ...

... a Yugoslavian nun would give her life to comfort the dying in Calcutta for His sake?

... some of the greatest architectural achievements in Europe were built for worship of Him?

... some of the world's most beautiful art was created to honor Him?

... some of the world's most glorious music was written to praise Him?

... 167 years after Rome crucified Him, He was acknowledged as the only God in the Roman Empire?

... Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, rotting in a Siberian work camp, said the very thought of Him was enough to keep his sanity?

... in an outburst of physical pain, frustration, anger, or just disagreement with the officials at a ball game, His Name - not Buddha's or Muhammad's is used in cursing?

... two thousand years after He has been physically removed from the world, people from all walks of life say He has saved them from drugs, illness, suicide, depression, and hopelessness?

... in His Name, people forsake personal gain to feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the naked, heal the sick?

Who is Jesus? How can we know who He really is? We know by studying the truth.

(Anne Graham Lotz. Just Give Me Jesus, 2000. Pages 4-5.)

Who Is Jesus to you?

No comments: