Thursday, March 18, 2010

A place to call your own

I happen to be one who enjoys the time I spend alone. Weird? Maybe so. I guess it's because even when I am physically alone, I know He is with me. And that is precious to me. Rare, but precious.

Don't get me wrong - I love being with my husband. And I love being with my family and friends. Regardless of how important the relationships in my life may be, I still need time alone with God to listen to Him, to seek Him. Time alone with my Father. Whether it was in my college dorm room, my favorite coffee shop, my bedroom at my parent's house, or my one-bedroom apartment ... I had my own space in those places, and very much cherished those sweet times spent alone with just me and the Lord.

Alone time is good for our souls. I believe it is necessary at times in our lives to hear the voice of God speak to us - through His Word and through His Spirit. It teaches us dependency on God. It teaches us how to pray. It teaches us how to listen. It teaches us how to be still.

Psalm 131:2 says, "I have stilled and quieted my soul ..." (emphasis mine)

And if I dare boldly say: Once a girl experiences meaningful, deep, life-changing alone time with the Lord, the craving does not go away.

And so I have craved it. Immensely.

I am proud to announce that I have found a place to call my own here in this house of ours. [I'm a terrible photographer, but here are a few snapshots.]


A place to be quiet.


A place to read.


A place to come and listen to the voice of the Lord through the pages of His Word.

[Please ignore my bare round table. The tablecloth is on it's way. Well ... one of these days!]


A place to reflect on the things God has done in my life.


A place to pray and thank Him. For all He has done.

One of my precious mentors gave me this framed Scripture as a wedding gift. This Scripture reminds us that all we have is from Him:

"The Lord has done this and it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:23-24)

What I love is that God knows what we need, girls. Nearly two years ago when my husband began to embark upon building this home, the home plan did not show a third floor. He saw an opportunity for an additional bedroom/bath and third floor laundry room and went with it. Little did he know, over a year later he would marry a girl who needed a place to call her own.

[Now tell me God isn't into details!]

I pray that you too ...
will find a place to call your own.

No comments: