Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Meddling

"If you are insulted because of the Name of Christ, you are blessed,
for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or
any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.

However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed,
but praise God that you bear that name."
~1 Peter 4:14-16 ~

Meddler: A busybody in other men's matters. One who busies himself with what does not concern him.

Is it a pure coincidence that this particular type of person is placed within the same category as a murderer, a thief, and a criminal?

As you meditate upon the above Scripture today, take some time to think about how our words have the ability to steal, to tear down -- even to kill -- someone else's soul.

May we take the high road today and walk away from the conversations which aim to knock down and destroy another human being. In most cases, that "human being" is another woman. Regardless of how flawed we may see her, she is a creation of our Heavenly Father. We, after all, are looking at her through our own imperfect eyes. Just for a change, may we attempt to see her through Jesus' eyes today.

And as we do this, I suggest we prepare for some waves to crash in. We should not be surprised if some hurtful words are spoken about us. Because in walking away from meddling, we will undoubtedly be going against the grain. Not because we are better. But because we desire obedience. Because we desire to make much of Jesus. Because we have an overwhelming desire to build up our sisters -- not tear them down, even more than this crooked world is already guilty of.

Friends, my prayer is that we would wholeheartedly seek to "become blameless and harmless, children of god without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom [we] shine as the lights in the world" (Philippians 2:15).

Busily concerned about the Lord's matters ...
Not each others.

Take-Away: Do I find myself caught up in meddling? Do I busy myself with what does not concern me? How does meddling leave me feeling? Instead of busying myself in other people's matters, with the help of Jesus may I seek to uplift and encourage those around me --Even if it means walking away from some juicy conversations. May bearing the Name of Jesus mean more to me than the latest gossip or drama.

No comments: