Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Psalm 139: Day 1

These next series of posts on Psalm 139 are for my Bible Study girls. The rest of you Hints of Hopers are totally welcome to follow along! My Bible Study girls and I are going through Psalm 139 this week - Each day we are reading a couple verses and asking God to teach us something personally from the Scripture. So ... Here we go! Again, you are welcome to join us.

Hey sweet Bible Study girls!

Ok, first thing's first - I had an absolute blast with you all this evening. Thank you for inviting me into your life and spending your Tuesday night with me! You all are precious. Take a look at this previous post to re-fresh yourself on the Bible study method we talked about tonight.

For the first day, I'm going to focus on the first 4 verses of Psalm 139.

Psalm 139:1 - "O Lord, You have searched me and You know me."
Step 1: You have searched and know me.
Step 2: The Lord searches our hearts and knows us better than anyone.
Step 3: What does the Lord see when He searches my heart? Do I believe that He truly knows me better than anyone? Do I know Him that way?

Psalm 139:2 - " You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar."
Step 1: You know when I sit and rise, and perceive my thoughts.
Step 2: The Lord knows our actions and our thoughts.
Step 3: Do I operate on a daily basis as if He is truly with me, seeing all of my actions and knowing all of my thoughts?

Psalm 139:3 - "You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways."
Step 1: You know my ways.
Step 2: The Lord is aware of the way we take.
Step 3: Do I acknowledge the Lord in my decision making?

Psalm 139:4 - "Before a word is on my tongue, You know it completely, O Lord."
Step 1: Before a word is on my tongue, You know it.
Step 2: God is aware of the words we speak.
Step 3: What is my language like? Do I use my words to build others up, or tear them down? Do I think before I speak, knowing that God knows the words of my mouth?

So my friends, what do we take-away from studying these 4 verses? Undeniably, that our God is into the details of our lives. He cares about the condition of our heart, the actions we take, the thoughts we think, the decisions we make. He even cares about the words we speak. That definitely leaves much to ponder. [Perhaps we will ponder over it in our Life Book???]

As you finish up your verses today, reflect lastly upon the following verse:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

No comments: