Saturday, March 27, 2010

Psalm 139: Day 3

For those of you who have not caught on throughout the past few posts, I am leading a Bible Study for some college girls. We had our first night of Bible Study this past Tuesday. We have decided to take a walk through Psalm 139 together this week. Below is one way I have suggested that they study this particular Psalm. It provides the opportunity to look at each verse - factually, spiritually, and personally.

Psalm 139 is one of my most favorite passages of Scripture. As women, until we truly can grasp Who we are created by, what we are created for, and who are created to be ... I believe we will be living unfulfilled lives. Been there, done that, not fun. And though the Lord has been so faithful to reveal to me that my identity is found ultimately within Him, I still often struggle with my worth asking myself the same questions: what was I created for? who was I created to be? And when I find myself pondering those thoughts, I find such relief to open my Bible and read Psalm 139.

Because when I can truly see myself in light of the Creator God of the Universe, my purpose in life becomes secondary. Just knowing such a God becomes priority. And through seeking Him, I find Him. And I find me. And then I know ... what I was created for, and who I was created to be.

Psalm 139:11 - "If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me, and the light become night around me ... '
Step 1: The darkness will hide me, and the light become night.
Step 2: It is easy to get overwhelmed by the evil in this world, though we must not forget that God is in control.
Step 3: Do I easily become overwhelmed and discouraged by the evil in this world? Do I cling to God in those moments, knowing that He is in control?

Psalm 139:12 - " ... Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to You."
Step 1: The darkness will not be dark to You. The night will shine like day. Darkness is light to You.
Step 2: There is no darkness in God - Only light.
Step 3: Am I a light in the darkness - shining for God?

Psalm 139:13 - "For You created me in my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb."
Step 1: You created me. You knit me together.
Step 2: God is our Creator and has fashioned each one of us uniquely since the time of conception.
Step 3: In what ways has God uniquely fashioned me?

Psalm 139:14 - "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Step 1: I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful.
Step 2: God's creation of human life is wonderful.
Step 3: Do I view my life, my being, as a creation of God? Do I believe that I am a wonderful creation of the Most High, as the Bible tells me?

Psalm 139:15 - "My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth ... "
Step 1: My frame was not hidden from You when I was made.
Step 2: We have always been known by God.
Step 3: Do I realize that I truly am known by God? That He knows me better than anyone one this earth?

Psalm 139:16 - " ... Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be."
Step 1: Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book.
Step 2: God has plans for our lives.
Step 3: Do I believe that God has a plan and purpose for my life?

No comments: