Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Faith in the dark

"We live by faith, not by sight."
~ 2 Corinthians 5:7 ~

About two months ago, I was faced with a situation in which I would choose to believe God or fall prey to doubt.  In the midst of this difficult time, I knew that God was just asking me to trust and believe Him - solely based on the Promises in His Word and on His character.  He was challenging me to walk by faith - regardless of the outcome.  The idea of walking by faith resembles to me the act of  walking through the dark -- don't know exactly where you're going, and not sure how it will all end up.    

The whole concept of walking in the dark can create such anxiety in one's soul.

But is it supposed to feel that way when we walk with God?

So often when faced with a difficulty, we long to see the end result.  We commonly use the phrase, "God only knows" as an attempt for comfort, yet I have found that all too much we find this truth to be rather annoying.  Do you know what I'm talking about?  At times, it perterbs us to know that God knows the result and we do not.  We feel as though He is holding out on us, playing a mind game with us  -- And if we could just get to a certain point in our faith life with Him, He would then reveal to us what we have asked of Him.  

God's intent is for us to be energized and freed as we walk through the dark.  Our faith in Him is intended to be strengthened during the times of complete uncertainty, not diminished.  In "The Overcoming Life" by D.L. Moody he challenges the audience with the following revelation:

"Second Corinthians 5:7: 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' The most faulty Christians I know are those who want to walk by sight.  They want to see the end - how a thing is going to come out.  That isn't walking by faith at all - that is walking by sight.

I think the characters that best represent this difference are Joseph and Jacob.  Jacob was a man who walked with God by sight.  You remember his vow at Bethel: 'If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God.' And you remember how his heart revived when he saw the wagons Joseph sent him from Egypt.  He sought after signs.  He never could have gone through the temptations and trials that his son Joseph did.  Joseph represents a higher type of Christian.  He could walk in the dark.  He could survive thirteen years of misfortune, in spite of his dreams, and then ascribe it all to the goodness and providence of God."  

So what about you, my friend?  Are you finding yourself at a crossroads in life?  Perhaps not knowing how a particular situation will end up?   

Will you trust your God to take your hand and lead you through the dark?  Will you allow the darkness to create in you a reliance upon your God that wasn't there before?  Will you ask Jesus to energize and free you during your time of waiting?  

Will you live by faith ... Even in the dark?        

No comments: