Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Life Verse

I was at an event about a month ago and the speaker shared her life verse with us.  I loved the concept.  One verse in Scripture that completely summed up the beginning of her soul craving for her God. 

This really got me thinking about my own life verse.  Now, I will preface this post by saying that there is nothing in Scripture that speaks of a life verse - It is not a necessity to the Christian life, and it is by no means a requirement of any sort.  I just found it a really thrilling concept.  And here are my reasons:

1. How cool to have a verse to apply to your life that sums up your experience of knowing Christ.  Think about how this could be a great transition into sharing your testimony of who God is to you and all that He has done in your life, with others!

2. I believe that our life verse may change during different seasons of our lives.  And how awesome to be able to look back on those various life verses - markers in our faith walk with Christ - to recall all the many good things God has done, and to see all the many trials He has carried us through, all the while taking the focus back to His Word.

3. The Word of God is meant to seep into every area of our lives as believing women.  We want to see Hebrews 4:12 pronounced true in our lives: "For the Word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  God's Word is alive and active, meant to influence our daily lives.  How amazing that we have the opportunity to apply certain verses in Scripture to our very human lives.  Why wouldn't we want a life verse?!

As I read through a few Psalms this morning, a verse that I had underlined jumped off the page and spoke to my heart.  And here it is:

"You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand." (Psalm 16:11, NIV)

I also love The Message paraphrase of this verse:

"Now you've got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face.  Ever since you took my hand, I'm on the right way." (Psalm 16:11, The Message)

Throughout the past year and a half, I have been on a journey to finding satisfaction in my God.  This verse speaks volume to me.  I think it's my current life verse for this season! He has used His Word to make known to me the path of life!  And that life is in Him!

So, what about you, friend? 

Do you have a life verse

If so, what is it?!

2 comments:

Beth Anne said...

I love this! I've had a verse for years that has stuck with me. Mine is Hosea 2:14-15. I love that God purposefully takes us out into a place for us to learn and see hope in Him. Each valley I've gone through in my life, I can look back and see how God was using that place to teach me to trust and to hope.

Love Being A Nonny said...

Yes, I have a life verse.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10