Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Attributes of God: Yahweh

And God, furthermore, said to Moses,
"Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,
'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham,
the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.'
This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations."
(Exodus 3:15)

The title "LORD" is known as the personal name of God.  When seen in Scripture in all capital letters, it is again used in reference to the personal name of God.  The Hebrew word for this name is Yahweh, which means "I AM who I AM." This name specifically tells us that God is always with His people.  If you recall back a few weeks ago, we touched on this particular idea on the letter "I" when we looked at Moses' encounter with God Almighty in Exodus chapter 3.  

"God says to Moses, 'I AM who I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites:
 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14)

Thank You for being our Yahweh.  You are LORD.  You are the Great I AM.  You are the God who is, and was and is to come.  We praise You LORD, for Your constance.  Thank You for being all we need.  I am so humbled that we are able to call You by Your personal name ... Yahweh.

What about you?

Are you too praising Him for being Yahweh ... for being LORD of your life and of eternity? 

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want."
(Psalm 23:1)

"Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles, 
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary."
(Isaiah 40:31)


No comments: