Wednesday, November 25, 2009

His Presence in the Practical

I spent my Monday evening very agitated. Here are a few things to know about me:

1. I do not like clutter. Some people can tolerate it. It makes me want to rip my hair out. [My mother would laugh at this post. For some (obvious) reason she seems to correlate my ability to organize, with the trunk of my car. I didn't say that I don't often live amongst clutter - especially when things are busy - I just said I despise it.]

2. I like a finished product. I see the big picture, and I want to get there. I used to be more detail oriented than I am at the current stage of my life. Not sure why. Perhaps planning a wedding had something to do with it?!?

Back to Monday evening. We have 2 rooms in our home that are incomplete. Ok let's be honest, we probably have more than 2, but I'm hyper focused on these 2. I have not yet decided on the perfect paint colors, we have rubbermaid containers stacked up in one of the rooms filled with wedding cards, keepsakes, textbooks, etc. I have been wanting to find time to search for the perfect bedding and fabric for window treatments. And in one of the rooms, because I love to read and needed space to place all my books, my husband built these beautiful wall-to-wall bookshelves. I love them, and yes, they are already almost full. Well, there is a gigantic hole in the ceiling where one was "forced," as he tells me, into the proper spot. I hear that a general contractor's "punch list" never gets completed. Probably not until you go to sell the home.

In my mind, there is still a lot to do. I am careful to say "in my mind" because I fully recognize that this whole "moving into a house a little less than 2 months ago and still having things to finish thing" would be considered perfectly normal to a lot of other women. Other than the slightly obsessive-compulsive ones, like myself. I have so much to be thankful for. I love my home. And I love even more that my husband designed and built it. I am just being a baby. And yes, God has revealed that to me and I am accepting it. So, no need to feel so sorry for me that you stop what you're doing and head straight over here to help me furnish or paint my home. Really, no need. Well, unless you know how to patch up a ceiling hole.

So yesterday morning, the Lord was just so sweet. I was sitting in a coffee shop waiting for a friend, so I opened up my Bible to have some time with Him. [Side note: This was the second coffee date of the morning, by the way. Oh, and I went to Starbucks 3 times yesterday. Record? Maybe so.] Since it was the 24th day of November, I was led to open my Bible up to Proverbs 24. Do any of you do that, by the way? Read a chapter of Proverbs each day? You know there are 31 Proverbs - Just about one for each day. Jenny Lynn and I were talking about that last night. It's a great little daily devotional. I have always found it difficult, because I think the Proverbs are filled with such truth that it's hard to read through an entire chapter each day. On the other hand, it is a great way to be in the Word everyday - even if you just meditate on a few special verses in each chapter. If you do this each month, you're sure to come across something new in God's Word every single day of the year!

So, after waking up yesterday morning still feeling slightly disorganized and overwhelmed, our All-Knowing God speaks this over my life yesterday during Starbucks visit #2:

Proverbs 24:3-4 - "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures."

How Great is He?? He was so precious to remind me that my focus needs to be not on worrying about filling our rooms with the perfect furnishings or paint colors right away - that stuff will come. Instead, I was challenged through His Word to be focused on founding our home upon His wisdom and knowledge. And when all is said and done, I would so much rather have a room filled with His rare and beautiful treasures, than to have a room filled with the best Pottery Barn furnishings. How wonderful will it be to have a home in which I can walk into each and every room, and see remnants of God's faithfulness written on the walls. And not just on the walls of the room, but on the walls of my heart. Because His treasures stay with us for a lifetime. And not only a lifetime ... Into eternity.

Thank You Lord, once again, for Your Presence ... In the practical.

And I would like to include one more thing. Just as a little bragging session on my amazing husband. On Monday night, in the midst of my breakdown about the organizational condition of the house not meeting my standards, I left to run over to my parents to pick up a few things really quick. When I returned about an hour or so later, the downstairs was cleaned up, our couch was vaccumed [We have a golden retriever. Need I say more?], and the new pillows were perfectly placed on the couch. He had organized our office a little bit, and he even moved his assembled Lego crane and other construction equipment, up to the third floor. These Lego masterpieces were all being showcased right smack dab in the family room up to this point. So yes, he's a gem, that boy. I think I'll keep him ;)

No comments: