Thursday, November 5, 2009

Run Harder

"He has filled the hungry with good things ... " (Luke 1:53)

The Word of God is clear that God alone can, and wants to, satisfy us. Psalm 107:9 says, "For He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." This verse declares two facts about our God: (1) He satisfies. (2) He brings forth good to our lives.

The most satisfied I have ever been in my life is when I've been running hard after God - Intense prayer, time in the Word, and experiencing God in my everyday life. God did not just choose to grant me a season of satisfaction. No, not at all. My satisfaction was a direct result of time in the Word and communion with Him.

I guess what I'm getting to is this: All our answers are found in Him. At times I get so lazy. I have a million prayer requests, I have heavy burdens on my heart, I have dreams left unfulfilled ... And what do I do? I talk about it, I ask for prayer about it, I worry about it. I might pray about it a little, or maybe even a lot. I may ask my Bible study to pray for me. I may talk to a spiritual advisor or counselor about it. I may even look in my Bible to see if God outlines the answer for me. I may run to God for the answers to my problems, but this is the kicker: How often do I run harder? Not often enough, I hate to admit. If I don't get the answer right away, or within the time frame of what I think is realistic, discouragement quickly sets in and I begin believing that my request is all-together unimportant for my God. Running harder seems like the worst possible option. Why? Because I'm often worn out from the battle. But little do I realize in those times, that God is prompting me to dig deeper in His Word, to seek Him more diligently, so that I truly may experience a refresher, a revival in my soul that I never imagined.

I recently had a conversation with a friend who told me she was discouraged in one particular area of her life. She has asked God time and time again what she is to do in a certain situation, and God is being silent. I'm sure I gave her my own "spiritual" answer (Forgive me, Lord). What she needed to hear was this: Run harder. Run harder after Him. As I looked to His Word, I was blessed to be reminded that He so desires to fill our hungry and thirsty souls with good things (Psalm 107:9). That as we continue to seek him - to hunger and thirst for Him, especially in our moments of drought - He will come through for us and bless us. After seeking out the biblical perspective on her situation, I could almost picture Jesus saying something like this to her ... Run harder after Me. I have the answer for you. And I have a purpose in this time of searching. Keep running ... Don't quit. You will be richly rewarded for your perseverance and obedience. And remember ... I alone, have the answer for you.

And do not think that I believe this advice is strictly for others. It is very much for myself, especially in this current season of my life. This season of blind faith. God is telling us that He has the answer though, ladies. His Word declares His promises. He has a plan ... And He has the answer we're longing for.

What is it that you have been asking your God for, for what seems like forever? I do not really know why I felt so led to share this with you this afternoon. Other than the possibility that I am very much in this season myself. The season of being challenged to run harder after my God ... Even in those areas where I already feel like I am very much running. Perhaps someone just needs some confirmation today, to keep going. I am learning more and more about the All-Sufficient role of our God. He indeed has every answer we could ever want.

I will close with this ...

"For when You did awesome things that we did not expect, You came down, and the mountains trembled before You. Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him." (Isaiah 64:3-4)

When we know that God has awesome things in store for us that we did not expect ... How can we afford to not run harder?

2 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

wow.
okay, we have to talk about this tonight. seriously, these were my exact thoughts this morning in the shower. of course not as eloquent or well-spoken but seriously...the exact same idea. wow.
just what i needed to hear :)

Aust said...

Jenny and I have the same response...WOW! I totally needed this Heather Anne. During this season of waiting I must RUN!