Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 12: 1st Corinthians Bible Study

Hey Sweet Friends!

Thank you for bearing with me last week. It was a busy week. In addition to that, I have heard from several of you that you are participating in this Bible study at your own pace and may be a few weeks behind. Hopefully last week gave you the chance to catch up a little or just reflect on all that God is teaching you through the book of 1st Corinthians.

This week we are going to tackle 1st Corinthians chapter 14. Next week we will complete this study with 1st Corinthians chapters 15 and 16.

I do want to post a reflection of chapters 12 and 13. I did not do a video, but I will at some point flesh it out on this keyboard. It was packed with such relevant truths for our lives - about life and love.

The reading for this week deals specifically with speaking in tongues and prophecy. The following first 3 verses in The Message paraphrase helped to set the stage for me regarding this entire chapter:



"Go after a life of love as if your life depended on it - because it does.  Give yourselves to the gifts God gives you.  Most of all, try to proclaim His truth.  If you praise Him in the private language of tongues, God understands you but no one else does, for you are sharing intimacies just between you and Him.  But when you proclaim His truth in everyday speech, you're letting others in on the truth so that they can grow and be strong and experience His presence with you." 
(1 Cor. 14:1-3, The Message)   



It is important to understand the basics about both (1) speaking in tongues, and (2) prophecy when reading this text.  I will send out some background on this tomorrow or Wednesday. 

Chapter 14 Reading Guide
Day 1 - 1 Corinthians 14: 1-12
Day 2 - 1 Corinthians 14: 13-21
Day 3 - 1 Corinthians 14: 22-25
Day 4 - 1 Corinthians 14: 26-33
Day 5 - 1 Corinthians 13: 34-40

Additional Study Questions
Day 1 - Am I equally as concerned with proclaiming His Truth, as I am with sharing intimacies of the heart with Him?
Day 2 - Is my prayer life intimate with the Lord?  When do I pray?  How do I pray?  Do I pray with others? 
Day 3 - Am I speaking Truth clearly, allowing it to minister to both the hearts of believers and unbelievers? 
Day 4 - Do I willingly share my testimony with others?  Am I open to talking about the Lord? Or am I holding back?
Day 5 - As a woman, am I submitting to the men in my life? As a believer in Christ, am I serving God in a fit and orderly way? Is my church serving God in a fit and orderly way? 

This Scripture is overflowing with meaningful application for our lives.  Again, I will send out a basic guide this week on both speaking in tongues and the meaning of prophecy in this text. 

Have a great week!  Blessings to you as you spend time in the Word!   

No comments: