Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Alive and Active

I opened my devotional this morning to read the same verses in Scripture that I have been led to various times throughout the past several days.  I was reminded this morning of the power of Hebrews 4:12 ...

"For the word of God is alive and active.  Sharper than any two-edged sword, 
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

It penetrates.  God is able to use His Word to enter our hearts - to teach us and to convict us, to lead us and guide us, to encourage us and to transform us.  Sometimes there is resistance to the Word of God in our lives - sometimes due to sin and other times due to distractions and other times due to lack of desire - but the point is, God can use His Word to overcome all of that!  He desires to use His Word to transform us and change us, which is absolutely remarkable.

Have you been in the Word of God this week? If so, is there a common theme through the Scripture you are reading? Can you feel it penetrating your heart - changing you from the inside out? How is the Spirit of God using the Bible to speak to you in your specific circumstances this very day?

I have been challenged this week to open the Word of God more frequently. And each time I do so, I am begging God for a fresh word that penetrates my heart ... leaving me more awed at the intentionality of our God.


“As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him." (2 Samuel 22:31)

He longs to meet us exactly where we are so that He can use His Word to speak to our exact circumstances. 

Praising Him for His Word today ... 
For it is indeed Alive and Active.

No comments: