Friday, January 20, 2012

Spared

"O LORD my God, I called to You for help and You healed me.
O LORD, You brought me up from the grave;
You spared me from going down into the pit."
(Psalm 30:2-3)

It is the beginning of a new year and I have found myself a little more reflective than usual. More than a few times it has crossed my mind that I would be totally in the pit without my God's sovereign rescue. More than a few times I have thanked Him this week for rapturing my heart and not leaving me to my own destruction. More than a few times I have bowed down in gratitude before Him and praised Him ... for I have indeed been spared.


"In Your love You kept me from the pit of destruction;
You have put all my sins behind Your back."
(Isaiah 38:17)

Once in a while I think we need to be reminded of the magnitude of our sin in light of the cross of Christ.   In His perfection, He died for us.  For each one of us who call on the Name of Jesus.  I am not suggesting dwelling on previous sins and struggles, as we know that as the Scripture above states - our sins have been put behind the back of Jesus.  I am however suggesting that we not ever (ever, ever!) forget what we have been saved from.  That we have moments where we are just blown away at the redemptive power of the blood of the Lamb. 

"I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. 
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD."
(Psalm 40:1-3) 

How has He changed your life?  Have you taken time lately to recall where you were without Him?  And have you humbly thanked Him for loving you enough to come to your rescue? 

I am overwhelmed by the reality of His salvation and and His redemption.  That in His great love He has endured the Cross in order to lift me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire.  

And because of that truth ...
Here I remain:
Spared.

No comments: