Monday, January 16, 2012

In your depravity

"The poor and needy search for water, but there is none;
their tongues are parched with thirst.
But I the LORD will answer them;
I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.
I will make rivers flow on barren heights,
and springs within the valleys.
I will turn the desert into pools of water,
and the parched ground into springs.
I will put in the desert the cedar and the acadia,
the myrtle and the olive.
I will set junipers in the wasteland, 
the fir and the cypress together,
so that people may see and know,
may consider and understand,
that the hand of the LORD has done this,
that the Holy One of Israel has created this."
(Isaiah 41:17-20)

There are many times throughout Scripture when the Lord speaks of creating something out of nothing.  Take a look at Genesis chapter 1, for example!  Our God is the God of the absolute impossible.  I love this quality about Him.  His ability to take even the bleakest of circumstances and transform them completely. 

The above Scripture has been on my mind for the past several days.  We all have circumstances in our lives that seem hopeless.  Some of us may currently find ourselves in the middle of a dry desert.  Others in the thick of a giant wasteland.  And still others of us may just feel plain parched.  In need of an immediate and supernatural change in our particular situation.  

Can anyone relate today?  

I believe that God often chooses to use the places of total depravity to reveal Himself in the most profound way.  

There have been times in my life where I have walked through a dry desert - when I have been spiritually dead.  There have been other times when I have been in the thick of a giant wasteland - so thick in sin that I have wasted precious time.  And then there are times like the recent when my soul has just felt parched - I have found myself longing for more of Jesus but lacking the focus it takes to be determined and intentional in my prayer and study life.  And to be honest, I'm tired of it and am in deep need of a revival from my God.  From the Only One who is capable of true transformation in my life.  

What are you feeling deprived of today?  

Whatever it is, God can fill that void in your life.  I do believe that God desires our lives to be filled to the brim with Jesus.  Sometimes we just need to believe Him that He really can restore our lives, that He really does desire to use the dry circumstances in our lives as an opportunity for His grace, for His supernatural power.  

I feel like I'm a little all over the place today in my thoughts.  I believe this is the basis of what is on my heart ... Our God is very interested in seeing our lives transformed, as it brings Him immense glory.

Are you perhaps feeling as though you're in the middle of a dry desert? What about in the midst of a giant wasteland?  Maybe you're just plain parched and in need of restoration and revival?  Re-read Isaiah 41:17-20 again.  Jesus desires for you to run to Him in your depravity, desperate for a supernatural touch from Him alone.  Did you hear that?  Run to God in your depravity. He longs to restore and revive.  

So the next time you are parched with thirst, or feel like you are wandering through the dry desert, or like your life is wasting away ... Run to your God.  In your depravity, run to the God of Israel who longs to satisfy your thirsty soul and transform your even most difficult circumstance ... 

With none other than ...
Himself.  

No comments: