Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Believing for the Extraordinary

"Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, 'So shall your offspring be.' Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead - since he was about 100 years old - and that Sarah's womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God has power to do what He had promised. This is why it was credited to him as righteousness." (Romans 4:19-22)

Believing God. Sounds so simple. One of my most favorite quotes comes from Jim Cymbala's book Fresh Faith, where he writes this simple, yet profound truth: "There is no excuse to not believe in the Lord Jesus." If the God of the Universe speaks a word over me through His Holy Scripture, declares that He will fulfill a certain something in my life, gives me a promise to claim - then I better get to believin'! The longer I wait, the harder I resist, the more I contemplate - the greater the chance for me to funnel into the vicious cycle of unbelief.

Unbelief is paralyzing. Take it from me. I spent much of my walk with the Lord believing Him for the wrong things. Believing Him to heal that particular dating relationship ... when it wasn't meant to be healed. Believing Him to provide that one performance opportunity ... when I was meant to be focused on performing. The time eventually came when God began asking that I commit to believing Him for the holy desires He had placed it my heart. Immediately, I needed His assurance that I was not going to be disappointed. If I put my heart out there to believe again, I selfishly wanted God to come through. I could not stomach any more defeat. I was paralyzed by unbelief.

Here this loud and clear: When God puts something in our hearts to believe Him for, and it lines up with Scripture - when it is congruent with the Word of God - then we must by all means, BELIEVE HIM for that very thing.

I am currently being challenged to believe my God for some pretty big things. I'm just going to be honest here - Some of the things He is asking me to believe Him for, are far-fetched in all human standards. As I thought and prayed through this today, I began to recall all the times in the Bible where normal ordinary people were challenged to believe God for big extraordinary things.

God summons Abraham's belief in Him. He is requesting his full, unwavering belief. And what does Abraham do? He obediently, unwaveringly, undoubtedly commits ... to believing God. A normal ordinary person, challenged to believe his God for big extraordinary (even miraculous) things.

In Genesis 18, the Lord appears to Abraham to broadcast the news that Sarah is going to have a child - at the ripe old age of 90. No, not 19 ... 90. Abraham is outside the tent, while Sarah who is inside the tent, overhears this conversation. To no surprise, she begins to laugh to herself: "Me! Ha! That has to be the funniest thing I have ever heard! What a joke - Meee becoming a mother ... at 90 years old!" The Lord does not find it quite as amusing. In fact, he's insulted. The Lord says to Abraham: "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son" (Gen. 18:13-14).

Let's take a look at the above Scripture (Romans 4:19-22), breaking down the main facts:
  1. He did not weaken in his faith.
  2. He faced the fact that in all human standards, it was impossible.
  3. He did not waver in unbelief regarding the promise of God.
  4. He was strengthened in his faith.
  5. He gave glory to God.
  6. He was fully persuaded that God had the power to do what He had promised.
  7. It was credited to him as righteousness.
When we waver, when we downplay or disregard the things God is asking us to believe Him for, when we laugh in the face of God's plans for us ... We are insulting our Creator God. Ouch. Perhaps that in itself is the antidote to that paralyzing bondage known as unbelief.

What big extraordinary thing is God asking you to commit to believing Him for? Write it down. Underneath it, write the following using Romans 4:19-22 as your guide:
  1. I will not weaken in my faith.
  2. I have faced the fact that in all human standards, this is impossible.
  3. I will not waver in unbelief regarding the promises of God.
  4. I will be strengthened in my faith.
  5. I will give glory to God.
  6. I am fully persuaded that God has the power to do what He has promised.
  7. It will be credited to me as righteousness.

We must commit to believing Him. We absolutely must. After all ... We have no excuse.

"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished."
~ Luke 1:45 ~

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Thanks Heather, you don't know me but I am a friend of a friend.:) I needed to hear this today. When I can't see a way for God to accomplish his promises I start to doubt. The story of Abraham has always been one of those that the Lord has used in my life in lots of ways. Thanks for being willing to grapple with these thoughts with us!

Anonymous said...

Tonight I am def. believing in the extraordinary for Landon! Thank you for this encouragement!