Sunday, March 8, 2009

From Mundane to Magnificent

"Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush." (Exodus 3:1-2a)

All too often I find myself belittling the average day-to-day tasks. Driving to and from work, sitting at my desk doing paperwork, going to the grocery store, working out, doing laundry, cleaning the house - All things I tend to view as average, mundane, uneventful tasks.

Let's take a look at Moses: Here he was ... In the process of accomplishing his average, most likely mundane, day-to-day responsibility. He was not sitting in a church pew or attending a city-wide revival. He was not on a mission trip or standing at the pulpit preaching. Nope. On the contrary, he was just doing his thing. He was doing what Moses did best - tending to the flock he was assigned.

In the midst of the mundane, our God Magnificent shows up to Moses. The Lord says to Moses: "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey ... So now, go, I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt" (Exodus 3:7-8, 10).

Can't you just picture Moses? Well, I was just tending the flock ... when all of a sudden, the LORD showed up in a burning bush!

I want to expect my God to show up in the mundane places of my life. In the daily tasks that I am just faithfully and obediently carrying out, because they're expected of me. I was just folding some clothes ... when all of a sudden, I heard from the Lord! I was just driving down the road ... when all of a sudden, the Lord spoke to my heart! I was just mundanely doing some work at my desk ... when all of a sudden, my God Magnificent gave me a word ... answered a prayer ... fulfilled a promise.

I want more of the Magnificent in my mundane. Don't you?

Father God, We praise Your Name, for Your Name alone is exalted. May we expect to see Your Magnificence in our day-to-day. That You, our Creator God, would care enough to show up in our ordinary lives is beyond our comprehension. May our mundane moments be an invitation for Your Magnificence. In the Mighty Name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: