Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's a Waging War out there!

"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of this world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)

I love The Message paraphrase of this particular passage of Scripture: "The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way - never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity."

To demolish: to break to pieces, to smash; to do away with, to destroy; to strip of any merit or credence.

Lurking around every corner is an opportunity to take the road to obedience, or to fall into the trap of disobedience. Sometimes it's a simple decision to obey - it comes to us easily, with little effort. Other times, it's nearly excruciating to move forward in obedience - our flesh wants what our spirit is waging against. When we've found ourselves in a downright spiritual battle, we know it. We feel our spirit and our flesh waging against one another, and we are fighting with all our might. We have entered onto battleground soil.

When we find ourselves on the battleground, we must grab hold of the divinely powerful weapons we have through Christ. It is those very God-Powered weapons that have the ability to smash and to destroy our strongholds, our temptations, our failures and our defeat. We must claim Victory in Jesus over the enemy.

Listening to CeCe Winans gets me pumped up. She is the reason (the only reason) I can stay on the elliptical machine at the gym for 45 minutes at a time ...

When I find myself in a battle, I crank this song up on my iPod. It makes me want to plow right over the enemy. He has no place in our lives, sisters!

Waging War, CeCe Winans

Anoint my head, Anoint my feet
Send your angels raining down, here on the battleground
For your glory, we're taking territory
Fighting unseen enemies like never before
We're waging war

I’m tired of principalities messing with me
I’m tired of the devil stealing from me
I promise he won’t get one more thing
I’m taking it back, taking territory
I’m ready for the battle, I’m ready to win
My weapon of power, He lives within
I can't be defeated, the enemy's gotta flee
I’m taking it back, taking territory

Be my sword, Be my shield
As we claim the victory over the enemy
In your name, You rule and reign
Never being defeated anymore
We're waging war

Fire by night, Cloud by day
A strong tower, Send the latter rain
Lion of Judah, Lord, God, Mighty in battle
Since you did it back then
We know you’ll do it again

May we take hold of our God-Powered weapons ...
They are given to us for the battleground!

No comments: