Thursday, December 29, 2011

Longing

"Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.
The unfolding of Your words gives light;
it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
Turn to me and have mercy on me,
as You always do to those who love Your Name.

Direct my footsteps according to Your Word;
let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from the oppression of men,
that I may obey Your precepts.
Make Your face shine upon Your servant
and teach me Your decrees.
Streams of tears flow from my eyes,
for Your law is not obeyed."
(Psalm 119:129-136)

This Scripture spoke to my heart this morning in such a powerful way.  Have you heard Christians speak about how we grow the most in our faith when we have to rely on Him through difficult seasons and circumstances? It's interesting to me that when we find ourselves in a deep season of difficulty, we long for God to answer our prayers and come to our rescue ... Then, once that particular difficulty is over and we have moved out of that season, we are often left with a deeper sense of longing than ever.  

We are longing after the God to whom we clung so tightly during the difficulties.  We desire that same closeness with Him perhaps without having to walk through the fire of hardship.  

Is that possible? 

The author in Psalm 119 makes a remarkable discovery about this particular topic.  In verse 131, He says: 

"I open my mouth and pant, longing for Your commands." 

In 2005, God began revealing Himself to me through the Bible.  He and I began communicating with each other through the written, God-inspired, Word.  I personally did not begin truly growing in my knowledge of Truth until I became disciplined in my study of Scripture.  I am not talking about becoming a biblical scholar (Lord knows!), but just taking one verse or passage at a time and asking God to begin speaking to me through that text.  Through that disciplined time, my desire increased for Him.    

Because of specific seasons of life when I have had more time than others to devote to my study of Scripture, God has developed in me a very big appetite for His Word.  When I do not have the time to devote to this study, I crave it so intensely.  Psalm 34:8 says:

"Taste and see that the Lord is good."

Here's the thing: No one else can taste for you.  Does that make sense?  We will only learn of the Lord's goodness by personal experience.  It is ours for the taking - We just have to commit to make the effort.  If we are honest, we will all admit we are longing after something.  Something that far surpasses this world.  For me, that longing was fulfilled when I began to learn who Jesus is through His Word.  And interestingly enough, that longing has never completely been satisfied ... It just continues to intensify.  I will admit to you that I looked for satisfaction in some wrong places before I tried investing in studying Scripture!  In seasons where I am overcome with life and busyness and my priorities are skewed, I am like a woman wandering in the desert.  The drought in my soul cannot be quenched with anything other than Him.  But why does it take me so long to realize this at times?  Oh, He is so patient with us as His children, isn't He?

I hope you are blessed as you meditate today on the wonderful Scripture passage above.  His Word contains absolutely precious promises for us to heed.  I am so thankful for His wisdom.  And I am so thankful that His well never runs dry. 

"The unfolding of Your words gives light;
it gives understanding to the simple."
(Psalm 119:130)

Thank You Jesus ... 
for giving understanding to the simple.
And that simple, being none other than me.

No comments: