Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Hidden Treasure

"And if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom, and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you."
(Proverbs 2:3-11)

On my search for the hidden treasure, my journey may entail some rough patches. It may involve throwing some heavy duty cargo overboard - some of those hefty items that I have picked up along the way - things that are weighing me down. My journey will certainly require my complete focus - I cannot afford to be distracted. There will be challenges and temptations. If I take my eye off the prize for even a split second, I may be tempted to settle for less. I may get tired and weary, and at times question if this whole thing is really even worth it ...

In 1 Kings 3:1-15, Solomon has just been annointed king over Israel. The Lord appears to Solomon in a dream and He asks Solomon what it is that he wants. God literally says to Solomon, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you" (1 Kings 3:5). Solomon's one request is that the Lord would give him "a discerning heart to govern [the people of Israel] and to distinguish between right and wrong" (1 Kings 3:9). Solomon was in search of the knowledge and the wisdom of God.

What are you in search of today? Where are you at in your search? Has your journey just begun, or have you been there for a while? Are you at a point where you are contemplating giving up - maybe feeling that God is being silent? Are you in the process of hauling the heavy cargo overboard - throwing off the excess weight? Perhaps you have recently reached your prize! Has the Lord poured out His wisdom, insight and understanding in a particular situation? If so, I hope you have taken the time to praise and shout: "It was worth it! I have discovered my hidden treasure, and the prize has made the journey totally worth it!"

I pray the Lord's blessing over your journey. Don't give up. Keep your eye on Him. Call out for wisdom, as Solomon did. Look for insight in the deep places of God.

It's there - You just have to want it enough.

"And if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God." (Proverbs 2:3-5)

No comments: