Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Calling Sin what it is

I am reading a new book. Not completely done with it yet, so wouldn't typically recommend it until I'm finished reading, but I like what I'm getting from the text.

In You Were Made for More, by Pastor Jim Cymbala, he says:

If I have a sinful area in my life and I won't let it go, I cannot appeal with any amount of faith for God to help me in another area of my life. God's special love for us as his sons and daughters includes his chastening us when we fall into a pattern of disobedience. This results in a loss of peace, not to mention a loss of power for the next battle.

Long ago in the fourth century, a teacher and prolific hymn writer known as Ephrem the Syrian observed with great wisdom, 'He who will not serve the Lord alone must be the slave of many masters.' To reject God's requirements does not set us free to enjoy our independence. It instead plunges us into ever more complicated bondages.

God lovingly calls us to obedience. He never gives up. The fact of his holiness cannot be compromised. When we disobey him, we hurt ourselves and we break communication with him. Only when this is restored can we realize his blessing on our efforts
(Cymbala, You Were Meant for More, 51).

Praise the Lord for a precisely bold word! I need those more often.

No comments: