Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Choosing our Words Carefully

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4:29)

I believe the Lord intends to bring us to a place as women, where we are genuinely concerned about what He thinks about our words, how we respond to certain conversations, how we react in times of conflict. When you think about it, it's really amazing how much influence we have over each other. Which can most definitely be a wonderful thing, because we have the ability to bless others through our words. I can say something to a friend that can make or break her day.

I have been prayerful over this for a few reasons. I have received some very godly wisdom over the years. I have also received some very ungodly, unsolicited advice over the years. To the point that I will very rarely comment on certain types of situations that friends of mine may be experiencing because I know how it feels to be discouraged in those specific areas. I have also however, spoken out of turn more times that I can count and undoubtedly said some things that have crushed the spirits of my precious friends.

The Message version reads: "Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift."

What can we do to become more purposeful and encouraging in our speech?

We can be more intentional in our meditations. Matthew 15:18 reads, "But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'" Let's begin our day praying the following prayer: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14).

We can be more aware of our motivations. Psalm 139:23-24 reads, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me..." Sometimes we just like to hear ourselves talk. The Word of God changes people's circumstances - we don't. Every once in a while we need to check ourselves to see where our motivations lie, being sure they are pure before God. Simple things like, "Lord, should I lend my advice to this person? If so, what do YOU want me to say?" or "God, I know how I want to respond to that person's comment, but how do YOU want me to respond?"

"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue." (Proverbs 31:26)

No comments: