Saturday, November 8, 2008

My New Favorite!

Alright so first thing's first ... Have y'all ever been to Hobby Lobby??! It's just about the cutest place I've ever been, and most definitely is one of my favorite new shopping stops. Well, sort of. The closest Hobby Lobby is in Asheboro, which is like 1 hour from my house. Oh, who cares! So it definitely won't be a frequent stop of mine, but when I'm in the mood for a little retreat, I know where I'll be going! And get this ... there's a Chick-Fil-A basically right next door. What could be better?!

Well, let me just tell you what can be better! The fact that the following is Hobby Lobby's statement of purpose:

In order to effectively serve our owners, employees, and customers the Board of Directors is committed to:

*Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with Biblical principles.
*Offering our customers an exceptional selection and value.
*Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals, and nurture families.
*Providing a return on the owners' investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.

We believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, we trust Him for our future.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/our_company/our_company.cfm?page=1

AMEN for Hobby Lobby! Seriously, y'all need to check this place out. Sort of like Homegoods, except imagine cheaper and cuter. Oh, and holiday decor GALORE!

The climax of my recent happening upon this adorable store (other than having the opportunity to shop there with my friend Melissa), was when I spotted this item below:

Philippians 4:18 is a verse that I have pondered over many times. One that has stirred conviction upon my heart, my attitude, my thoughts. In full context, this Scripture reads: "Finally, brothers [sisters], whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things" (Philippians 4:18).

In this passage, Paul is pleading with believers to love one another, to live in harmony with each other, ultimately so that their lives would win the respect of unbelievers. Also, so that their relationships would glorify God. We are challenged by this Scripture to abide by a higher standard. To abide by God's divine standard of holiness.

True. We are challenged to meditate upon truth, God's Truth. Noble. A commentary that I read this afternoon said, "Believers are to meditate on whatever is worthy of awe and adoration" (MacArthur). I love that. Right. Meaning "being in accordance with what is just, good, or proper; conforming to facts or truth." Pure. Undefiled. Morally clean. Free from corruption. Lovely. Delightful. Believers are to focus on whatever is kind or gracious. Admirable. The highest esteem. Focus on the things of excellence. Excellent or Praiseworthy. Worthy of praise. Superior.

This is not about a list of rules. This is about loving God, girls. Loving God more than ourselves. What is found in God is truer than anything this world has to offer. When we meditate on truth, nobility, rightness, purity, loveliness, things that are admirable and excellent - we are blessed. Our heart is focused on the things of God. We want to be right in our relationships, in our friendships, with other believers and with non-believers, because it glorifies God.

So, in closing ... Be urged this day to be mindful of the things you are thinking about. I am so challenged by this. You know why? Because I so want to love people God's way. And for some crazy reason, I believe this starts by meditating on the things of God on a daily basis - by training myself to abide by God's divine standard of holiness. Because I not only desire my actions and my words to honor my God - I desire my mind to bring Him praise. I don't want to waste time thinking about trash. I want to spend my time thinking about the things of God.

This is a hard one for us, women. Praise be to the God who can MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I love loving Jesus with you. Now ... go to Hobby Lobby! (And get you some Chick-Fil-A, too!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I am so jealous!! That is my favorite place ever! We def. need to take a trip there soon! :)