Saturday, January 17, 2009

Be Happy: It's a 'God' Thing!

"The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant." ~Psalm 35:27b

Well-being, by definition, is the state of being happy, healthy, or prosperous.

Delight, by definition, is a high degree of gratification; joy; extreme satisfaction.

Are you ready for this? We serve a God who is extremely satisfied and joyful, when:

1. We are happy.
2. We are healthy.
3. We are prosperous.

Yep, I said it. Happy, Healthy, Prosperous. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I just have to be completely honest with you, in case I'm not the only one who has been warped by this way of thinking and functioning. I am ashamed. You know why? Because for some reason, I have been straight up in a pit! Ok, here it goes: So, we know that our God is delighted when we give up and surrender of ourselves, when we endure suffering for His sake, when we go through trials and find our strength and comfort in Him ... Right? Right. He most definitely is pleased when we adopt that type of surrender and submission to His will. Scripture tells us that the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit and a contrite heart (Psalm 51:17). Get it? Got it? Good. Moving on ...

What I am personally ashamed of, is that I have fallen into a pattern of thinking that my happiness is the least of God's priorities. WRONG! Lie from the enemy - Strike it down! (We have also adopted warped views of health and prosper, but in this particular case, I'm going to narrow in on the happiness aspect.) Who in the world has taught us this? It's so ... weird. And so ... not biblical. Our treasure is in heaven, not on this earth (Matthew 6:19); however, God wants our lives to be abundantly good while on this earth (John 10:10, Jeremiah 29:11). He wants us to recognize Himself as the God "who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20)!

The scripture above says that our God is DELIGHTED when we are happy (Psalm 35:27b). Girls, this is not my opinion - this is biblical. So, after bringing my awful mindset before God - confessing and repenting to Him that I have been stuck in a pit .....

I am making a covenant with my God to experience my joys in a new light, a new fashion. From now on, when something good happens, when something in my life makes me happy (or healthy, or prosperous) - I am going to picture God smiling and being extremely joyful over this 'good thing' in my life. Because after all, it's not just a 'good thing,' but a 'God thing.'

How differently would we react to good news, if we were to picture God standing right next to us? Picture this: Our Creator God, The Great I AM, Jesus Himself - extremely joyful, gratified, and satisfied - smiling, over our personal Victory? Heck YES! Give Him the PRAISE He so deserves! That is how we are supposed to be experiencing joy, sisters. Now, go - go celebrate in the great joys God has brought you. And don't forget to let Him in on the party!

The LORD be exalted.

No comments: