Sunday, January 18, 2009

Walking by Faith?

I am reading a book by Elisabeth Elliot. Wise woman. Challenging. I just finished a chapter on submission. I thought the following to be especially encouraging to the season of "singleness":

"I would ask my challengers to reflect on the design of the Designer; to ask what it means; to test the way they treat the opposite sex with these questions: Is it fitting? Is it in accord with the pattern I'd like my life to follow? Does it harmonize with my best understanding of God's plan? What is it that brings God's man and God's woman near each other with delicacy and grace? Do I want to walk, here as in all areas of my life, by faith, or will I take things into my own hands?" (Elliot, Passion and Purity.)

I found the last statement to be most thought-provoking. Do I want to walk ... by faith, or will I take things into my own hands? Applying this to singleness, I will unapologetically insert that this would be not Elisabeth Elliot's opinion, but the biblical standard on pursuit: It is the man's responsibility to pursue, and we as single women, should have no desire (whether intentional or not) to rob the man of that. It also is God's design that He orchestrate all areas of our lives, including the love life. We do not need to morph God's well thought-out and intricate design of man vs. woman. We need not manipulate. We must trust. Trust God. Have faith that God knows what He's doing.

Now, from a general standpoint, outside the realm of specifically relationships - The following application question: Do I want to walk ... by faith, or will I take things into my own hands?

No comments: