Friday, May 6, 2011

Attributes of God: Mighty

"The Mighty One, God, the LORD,
speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun
to where it sets."
(Psalm 50:1)

All throughout Scripture, the God we serve - the LORD - is characterized by His might.

2 Kings 17:36 proclaims Him as the mighty one the Israelites were to worship ... "But the LORD, who brought you up out of Egypt with mighty power and outstretched arm, is the one you must worship. To Him you shall bow down and to Him offer sacrifices."

Nehemiah 9:32 is a cry for help to the only mighty One who is able to help them accomplish the task before them ... "Now, therefore, our God, the great God, mighty and awesome, who keeps His covenant of love, do not let all this hardship seem trifling in your eyes - the hardship that has come on us, on our kings and leaders, on our priests and prophets, on our ancestors and all your people, from the days of the kings of Assyria until today."

Psalm 24:8 recognizes our God for His unparalelled might ... "Who is this King of glory?  The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle." 

Psalm 62:7 proclaims the Lord as the mighty one we can depend on ... "My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge."

Lord, I praise You today for being Mighty.  Your Word says that by your mighty hand, You redeemed Your people (Psalm 77:15).  How I praise You for reaching down from on high and saving me from destructive paths.  How I praise You for redeeming me.  Thank You for your Might.  There is none besides You that I desire to place my trust in.  Your Word is Supreme and it proclaims You as the mighty one.  May I not ever forget how very much You are capable of, Jesus. 

What about you?

Are you praising God today for His Majesty?  For being the Maker of all things?  Have you thanked Him for His Mercy? 

"I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;
I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone."
(Psalm 71:16)

"Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your mighty acts to all who are to come."
(Psalm 71:18)

"I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds."
(Psalm 77:12)

"Who is like You, LORD God Almighty?
You, LORD, are mighty, and Your faithfulness surrounds You."
(Psalm 89:8)

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
(Isaiah 9:6)

No comments: