Monday, April 11, 2011

Attributes of God: The Accomplished One

The other day I received a text message from my husband that [accidentally] said: Almighty.  He meant to say: Alrighty.  Interestingly, this got me thinking about something. 

Almost instantly, I was back in the car with my family driving through the gorgeous mountains of West Virginina going to visit family.  We always knew what to expect when we were driving through those beautiful scenic mountains and my Mom reached over and turned the radio off.  It meant we were about to start praying.  She would lead ... Yes, usually while driving because many of these trips were made without my Dad in the car.  Usually he would meet us there after finishing up business.  The attributes of God have always been a very big deal in our family.  If you ever want to know the attributes of God, ask my mother.  She has her favorites all typed out alphabetically and can print them off her laptop in an instant.  So on these car rides through the mountains, she would start with A and then I would do B and my brother would do C and so on ... 

Mom: Almighty God
Me: Beautiful One
Brother: Creator 

We would go all the way to Z and then sometimes we would repeat.  A tradition that I will certainly never ever forget.

So when I received the "Almighty" text from my husband the other day, although erroneous, it put me back on the path of wanting desperately to never forget the attributes of my God.  

What is an attribute, you may ask?  An attribute is simply a characteristic of someone.  A quality that sets them apart.  When you start with A and end with Z, it's amazing the picture that is painted of this great God whom we serve.  This is a wonderful tool to use during your prayer time.  Or even ... when driving down the road.  

As I mentioned yesterday I have been reading in the book of Joshua.  Joshua 1:8 came to mind just now:

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have success."  

The Lord boldly commanded that truth to Joshua.  And you and I should be nothing less than challenged to live by that same command today.  If you don't know where to begin, go to the concordance in the back of your Bible and start with A.  This is sure to get your mind reeling with attributes of your God.

So today, I am praising Him for being The Accomplished One:

"I will cry to God Most High,
To God who accomplishes all things for me."
(Psalm 57:2)

He is the Accomplished One.  He has accomplished deliverance and redemption.  He has accomplished victory and miracles.  No other accomplished one compares to Him.  He has accomplished in me salvation, restoration, and change.  He will continue to accomplish His purpose in and through my life.  He promises to accomplish that which concerns me.  I praise You today God, for being The Accomplished One.   

What about you?

Has He been your Abba (father), your Abundance (plenty, surplus), your Adviser (counselor), your Advocate (defender, witness)?  Has He proved Himself Alive to you? Has He been your Almighty, your Alpha (beginning), your Altar (place of sacrifice), your only Answer?  Has He Armed you for the battle?  Perhaps He's been your Assurance (confirmation), your Awesome God?  Has He completely Astonished (amazed) you?  

 "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Give thanks to the God of gods, 
for His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Give thanks to the Lord of lords,
For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Who remembered us in our low estate ... 
And rescued us from our adversaries ...
Who gives food to all flesh ...

Give thanks to the God of heaven,
For His lovingkindness is everlasting."

(Psalm 136:1-3, 23-26)   

No comments: